Pageviews past week

Thursday, November 3, 2011

upon close study

There is an unlit furnace
in the crevasse of his lifeline.
Powdery, soot stained sides taste
of the daily news, typewritten rough drafts,
and the finches he cooked for lunch.
I want to fill it with light. ignite it
with 100 proof brandy, childhood dreams
and ineffable plans for leisure.
A microscopic view reveals absence
of circulation flue and dried kindling.
Hollowed and complete
he's vacated the site.

4 comments:

Brian Miller said...

nice jane...i know this is an older piece, but it is tight, finely textured too...the first two lines grip...the middle with your desire to fill it with light...the last two are a bit of a surprise in light of that which is cool....i like..

hedgewitch said...

I've read each poem on this page--you have a great gift--I especially like this one, and the one titled 'enough.' Beautiful work.

Margaret said...

You asked how to link to FF55 type Title of Poem

100 proof brandy works for lighting a fire! :)

Charity said...

"I want to fill it with light. ignite it
with 100 proof brandy..."
Me too!!

I too enjoyed the unexpected discovery at the end, as I had presumed he enjoyed the dark, and the finches he cooked for lunch!

Post a Comment